Friday, May 29, 2009

Jack's 8th Grade Graduation


Well...last night was the big night! Jack graduated from middle school. I know this isn't the biggest milestone in life, but it sure was something for us. It's so hard to believe that 9 years of school has past and that Jack will be going into high school (a phase that I am completely freaking out about). But, Jack is more than excited about all the adventures that lay ahead. I'll keep praying for all of this and know that by the time it happens, I'll be okay with it too.
Back to last night...it was fabulous. 117 8th graders crossed the stage to receive their diplomas and special awards. Our principal and staff of teachers created special awards for every single student. Some were funny, some were fitting and some asked for forgiveness. Jack received the "I know I shouldn't say this out loud, but I'm going to anyway" Award. His was very fitting. He also received the President's Gold Award for Educational Excellence. That was very exciting. His GPA was 3rd in his graduating class. Two very deserving girls beat him out for the top two spots. At the end of the ceremony, there was a tearful (at least for me) picture slideshow of all of these kids from 6th - 8th grade. Before the lights came back on, the 8th grade staff sprayed the graduates with a dozen cans of silly string. It was awesome.
We ended the evening with a dinner out at a little divey mexican restaurant. We packed the place out, but service and food were excellent. I was sad as I looked over this crew of amazing young teens and wished it could continue on like this forever. But, most will go their separate ways for high school and make new friends and new memories. I hope for Jack that he will remember this time in his life.... and smile.

1 comment:

A Special Kind Of Teacher..... said...

How exciting. I'm sure he'll do fine in the next 4 years at Highschool...causing more trouble and getting more awards. I just hope YOU'RE ready for it!!! ha...congrats.